That a new Mormon temple would be built in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, was announced by Prophet Thomas S. Monson at the 183rd annual general conference of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 6 April 2013. There are nearly 2 million Latter-day Saints in Brazil. There are already Mormon temples in Fortaleza, Recife, Manaus, Curitiba, Campinas, Porto Alegre, and Sao Paulo. With the Rio Temple, Brazil will have eight. Read more
A 3D rendering of the Provo City Center Temple of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (often mistakenly called the Mormon Church) has been released in March 2013. The rendering was created by Brian Olson. The building was formerly the Provo Tabernacle, an historic landmark. After a serious, but accidental, fire, the Church of Jesus Christ decided to rebuild (retaining the historic exterior) and convert the tabernacle into a temple. The current temple in the area, the Provo Temple, which in on the east bench of north Provo near the Missionary Training Center, is often filled to capacity.
Land near the tabernacle had to be procured in order to accommodate the grounds and gardens, and parking for the temple. It will grace the downtown area of Provo and surely cause the whole area to be revitalized as no other sort of initiative could possibly do. City offices and the large NuSkin office are nearby, as are many small shops. Read more
At the October 2009 general conference of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (sometimes inadvertently called the “Mormon Church”) it was announced that a Mormon temple would be built in Fortaleza Brazil. There are 13 stakes near Fortaleza and several more in outlying areas. Members currently travel nearly 500 miles to attend the Recife Brazil Temple. The Fortaleza Temple will be the seventh Mormon temple in Brazil, where there are nearly 1.2 million Latter-day Saints.
The Fortaleza Brazil Temple will be built in the coastal neighborhood of Dunas on a site located across from the esteemed FANOR, an institute of higher education. The exact location is Avenida Santos Dumont esq Rua Mal. Mascarenhas Morais, Fortaleza, Ceará, Brazil. Read more
That a new Mormon temple would be constructed in Sapporo Japan, was announced by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints on October 3, 2009 at the 179th General Conference of the Church in the Saturday morning session.
The site for the Sapporo Japan Temple is at 1-620-5 Ohyachi-Nishi, Atsubetsu-ku, Sapporo-shi, Hokkaido, Japan. The site is 9.8 acres. The parcel of land is on the Atsubetsu River, adjacent to the campus of Hokusei Gakuen University. The land was once occupied by the Shin Sapporo Golf Center and offers convenient access from the Hokkaido Expressway and the Ooyachi Subway Station.
The Sapporo Japan Temple was designed with inspiration from Asian architecture. The temple will anchor a complex of supporting buildings including an Arrival Center, a Patron Housing Facility, a Temple Missionary Housing Facility, a combined home and office for the Japan Sapporo Mission, and space for a future meetinghouse. The grounds will feature distinctive trees and plants, large landscaping stones, and a pond and waterfall spanned by a pedestrian bridge. Read more
At the 181st semi-annual general conference of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Prophet Thomas S. Monson announced the construction of a new Mormon temple in Durban, South Africa. This will be the second temple for South Africa. The Johannesburg, South Africa temple was dedicated in 1985.
The first missionaries to South Africa arrived in April 1853, and in August, the first congregation was organized four miles from Cape Town. Two years later, there were three congregations totaling nearly 130 members. Missionaries were not sent to South Africa from 1865 to 1903 because of government restrictions and the inability to speak the Afrikaans language. A few years after missionaries returned to South Africa, the first Church building was built in Mowbray in 1916-17. Read more
At the 181st general conference of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints Prophet Thomas S. Monson announced the construction of two new temples in Africa, one in Durban, South Africa, and one in Kinshasa, the capital of the Democratic Republic of Congo. These will be the fourth and fifth temples to be constructed in Africa, with existing temples in Johannesburg, South Africa; Accra, Ghana; and Aba, Nigeria. Members in Congo currently attend the temple in Johannesburg, over 2000 miles away. The Kinshasa Temple will serve 23,000 Latter-day Saints.
The first missionaries arrived in Kinshasa in February 1986, when the Church received legal status. Meetings were first held in the homes of members. Then the Church purchased a villa and had it remodelled into a meetinghouse. In September 1986, at the first meeting in the 200-seat facility, 208 Church members attended. Read more
At the 181st semi-annual general conference of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, held in October 2011, Prophet Thomas S. Monson announced the construction of a new Mormon temple in Star Valley, Wyoming. The prophet joked that he would personally dedicate the new temple, because the fishing is good nearby. This will be the first temple to be built in Wyoming.
Mormons in Wyoming had previously attended the temple in Rexburg, Idaho. The journey was considerably more difficult during the winter.
Mormon pioneers in the first westward party in 1847 made their way through Wyoming, stopping at Fort Laramie to repair their wagons. They followed the Oregon Trail along the Platte River to Fort Bridger Read more
In October 2011 at the General Conference of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Prophet Thomas S. Monson announced the construction of a second temple in Colombia. The first is in Bogota. The new temple will be in Barranquilla, Colombia, which is located in northern Colombia, near the Caribbean Sea. Located on the delta of the Magdalena River, the city serves as a port for river and maritime transportation within Colombia.
The first LDS Missionaries arrived in Colombia in 1966. Five years later, 27 congregations were established in 10 cities. Today, Church membership is nearly nineteen times that of 20 years ago. Colombia has 172,534 members of the Church in 272 congregations, and four missions. Read more
The Provo Tabernacle was originally built between 1883 and 1898 on University Avenue between Center Street and 100 South, and was a city landmark for over 100 years. The tabernacle had been updated as the years went by, but its distinguished architecture was never changed. The building was gutted by fire in December 2010. Apparently, no arson was involved. The building was beloved and venerated by generations of residents and BYU students who worshiped and attended a variety of meetings, concerts and other events there. During the months after the fire and the investigation that followed, residents wondered whether the historical facade of the building could be saved. There was an audible gasp of joy at the announcement in General Conference by Prophet Thomas S. Monson that the historic tabernacle would be remade into a temple. There is a precedent for this action, since the Vernal Utah Temple (dedicated in 1997) was created from the 1907 Uintah Stake Tabernacle. The new temple will include “a complete restoration of the original historic exterior. Read more
That a new temple of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints would be built in Paris, France, was formally announced at the Mormon General Conference of October, 2011. However, since the French press got hold of the plan many months before, an informal announcement was made in July of 2011, while government approvals were still in progress. The temple is planned for the area of Le Chesnay. Le Chesnay is located in the western suburbs of Paris 16.7 km (10.4 mi) from the center (Wikipedia).
The first LDS missionary to France was the apostle John Taylor, who later became prophet and president of the Church. He departed for Europe in 1849. The first congregation in France, consisting of six members, was organized in April 1850 in Boulogne-sur-Mer. By July 24, 1853, nine branches (small congregations) had been formed with 337 members. Two hundred eighty-nine of those members were from the Channel Islands. Read more